Monday, September 2, 2013

What it is, what it ain't, what it gon' be...

Welcome to post #2 ya'll,

First off I want to say gracias, danke schoen and a great big ol' THANK YOU to all who have read and/or shown support after my first post. This is a very personal endeavor that I'm putting out for the world to see and it's always nice to get a "You go girl!" I'll try my best to keep my topics both entertaining and informative.

Now on to the topic at hand. As the title says, the intent of this post is to outline some goals and ground rules. You can decide from my bullet points here whether or not you want to follow in my humble corner of web real estate.

WHAT IT IS

  • This is me getting real with myself; my "come-to-Jesus moment" as some would say. I'm not where I want to be and I have to take responsibility to put myself it a better standing. Keyword: accountability.
  •  This will put stakes on my learning process. If I'm not learning anything, trying something new or working through problems then I won't have anything to share with you beautiful people.
  • This is me being an open book. Without getting too dangerous, I'm going to be as candid as possible about my finances, certain aspects of my life, my hobbies etc.

WHAT IT AIN'T
  • This will not be an advice column. I am not within a million foot radius of being qualified to dispense advice of any sort.. This blog is for informational purposes only. If you like any ideas I post about finance or investing, do the research for yourself or seek professional financial consultation. If you like my ideas about social matters, see a shrink. The food thing? Talk to a chef. I'll be happy to answer any and all questions. Just take my answers for what they are: opinions.
  • This will not be any kind of socio-political manifesto. I have beliefs. I may even briefly talk about my beliefs on occasion. But I will NEVER EVER force my beliefs on you. Simple as that.
  • This will not always be grammatically perfect. I tend to use a lot of run-ons and comma splices. Spell check doesn't catch everything. I do the best I can at editing but don't be a troll if you see a "your" when it should be a "you're".

WHAT IT GON' BE

  • I want to become an expert in personal finance. I think the reason we get into so much economic trouble is the don't really understand the fundamentals of how finance works. We're touched by Adam Smith's Invisible Hand briefly in the 8th grade, but for a lot of us that is where our financial education ends. There's been a recent push to bring financial literacy to the forefront and I want to be a part of that movement.
  • I hope to use this blog as a weapon in my arsenal for a comprehensive passive income portfolio. I'll outline more details in an upcoming post about my specific goals.
  • I want to be an example to people who are in similar situations. I'm a single mom. I'm burdened by debt. I'm a cancer survivor. I'm caught in a career loop. I'm still trying to leave the nest and set out on my own. I'm tackling all my problems and will be completely transparent with how I do it. I hate when people say they made it through an ordeal, or they got rich or got the career of their dreams and when you ask how they get all secretive. When I come up I bring people with me.
  • I want this to be fun. Plain and simple.


1 comment:

  1. I feel your struggle (as I am going through it too) and am digging your guidelines. Let's get this road to financial awareness and self accountability party started!

    ReplyDelete